[Updated 5/6/2016] THIS POST contains what you need to know about Saturday's FREE event. Read on for details.
Free Comic Book Day Festival takes place on Saturday, May 7, 2016. We hope you'll join us for 20,000 free comic books, food trucks, cosplayers, wrestling* (in the parking lot!), roller derby athletes, and a whole lot more.
WHAT TIME CAN YOU GO INSIDE?
For our Savings Club Members -- our regulars -- doors open at 8 a.m. If you're a Member, please use the VIP line. We'll have it marked.
For our New Visitors and Non-Members, you'll gain access to the store at 9 a.m. There will be plenty of free comics for you -- there are, after all, twenty thousand!
Where to park? Where is the Member line? Where is the visitors line? See our Event Map.
- 25% off graphic novels and toys
- 25% off already reduced items
- $1-5 cover price titles for .50c
- $5.01-$10 = $1
- $10.01-$15 = $2
- $15.01+ = 75% off
Activities for children and parents
- All day: Comics creation station -- create and take home your own comic!
- 8:30 am - 11:30 am: Face painter (free, outside area)
- 8:30 am - 11:30 am: Balloon maker (free, outside area)
10:00 am - 2:00 pm:
- Matt Hawkins writes for TopCow and serves as its President and COO. He's written Think Tank, Aphrodite IX, The Test, Alibi, and others. He's also produced tv series, feature films, and video games. Come out and meet him or connect with him on Twitter at @TopCowMatt.
- Dylan Gray serves as TopCow's Marketing Director. Connect with him and talk shop at FCBD Festival.
Community Group Exhibitors and Shows
We've partnered with some of our favorite community groups, so you can learn more about these amazing contributors to the sport and entertainment and causes here in Sacramento. Here they are:
- From 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Cracking the Vault is the official podcast of Empire's Comics Vault. You'll have a chance to meet the faces behind the voices -- Jake DeSersa, Amy Nunag, Patrick Clarke, and Tony Asaro. You'll enjoy the interview Ben conducted with this fun crew.
- Supreme Pro Wrestling will put on a show in a real wrestling ring (subject to weather//5/5/16 update). Don't miss this amazing show. They'll also be available for photos (just ask!) and will have merchandise available for purchase.
- Sac City Rollers' athletes will be on skates meeting and greeting and selling tickets to their roller derby bouts (each purchase comes with a special FCBD Festival offer bonus)! They're available for photos (just ask!).
- HeroicGirls.com and it's founder, John Marcotte, aim to empower girls by advocating for strong role models in comics and other alternative media. Have fun at their photo booth and meet some great people.
- Reality-Comics.com, a social network for the comic book community, joins us to talk comics and shoot some video. In case you missed their coverage of our last FCBD Festival, here it is:
- SacGeeks.com has been involved in bringing to life some of the best geek events in Sacramento, including Star Wars Day and now Intergalactic Expo. Don't miss connecting with this group. They have their finger on the pulse of geeky Sacramento.
- Vader's Fist, aka, 501st Legion of Stormtroopers, invade the Festival. Beware... and get your picture taken with a stormtrooper.
- Danotage (Twitch.tv)'s Daniel Herrera is a full-time broadcaster on Twitch, a published author, academic, official panel moderator, radio host, and stream manager. If you're a gamer, you probably know Danotage and his entertaining channel. Meet him in person and maybe get on the show, but be sure to watch Ben's interview with Daniel.
- West Coast Avengers - These costumed Avengers will join us at FCBD Festival and will be raising money for Shriner's Children's Hospital of Northern California.
Local Artists, Writers, and Comic Book Creators
These guests will join us from 9 am - 1 pm. They bring with them their arts, writings, etc. Take some time to talk about them and their craft, and please be sure to support your favorites.
- Nooligan, aka, Hainanu Saulque, is the artist behind Union Street Choir and a favorite a comic book conventions across the country.
- Jusscope's Justin Orr is a favorite artist and illustrator who exhibits at cons across the country and a favorite in Empire's Art Gallery.
- Kyrun Silva is the creator and author of the comic book, Shaman's Destiny. He's also the founder of Big Tree Comics. If you're looking to get into comics, talk to Kyrun.
- Mach Yeager
- Chris Cinder's paintings and Hakos figures impress and inspire. See his works in person at our mini-con.
- Eben Burgoon is the funnyman writer of Eben07 and B-Squad comic books.
- Experience the creative imagination of painter Jared Konopitski and talk to him about his craft.
- Artist and storyteller Melissa Pagluica's gorgeous art and moving story grace the pages of her comic book, Above the Clouds. Don't miss your opportunity to talk to Melissa and to support her work.
- Jill Allyn Stafford, collage and mixed media artist, joins us for her first FCBD Festival. Jill explores the themes of conflict, love, humor and loss via her works, in some cases via the medium of comics. Ben recently interviewed her. We're sure you'll enjoy it.
- With an art and art history background, Kristine Wendt crafts a comic book story based in the pages of history. Meet illustrator, artist, and storyteller at FCBD Festival and get into the pages of her book, Caravaggio’s Darkness, a self-published comic via her company, Sumantra Comix. And in case you're wondering who or what is Caravaggio...
- Mario Estioko, graphic design teacher at Sac State, recently published his first book of comic strips, Incompatibles. This humorous look at life will have you laughing. Meet the artist and pick up a copy at the Festival. Be sure to watch the interview to learn more.
Enjoy these food trucks between 11 am and 1 pm.
- The Wandering Boba food truck serves milk teas, fruit-infused jasmine green teas, and a variety of delicious foods, from lumpia to popcorn chicken!
- Award winning Drewski's Hot Rod food truck serves some of the best hot sandwiches you'll ever eat. Seriously. And tater tots.
*Live wrestling subject to weather.